I’ve moved this blog over to a new location. Please update your reader accordingly (oh, I’m very convinced that I have at least one reader).
Thanks for the support.
I hope that you’re fully aware that I’m a complete nutjob.
Good. As long as we’ve got that out of the way, we can proceed. So, as you can tell by your general knowledge and not being in a coma, it’s 2012. Which, by all standards is a new year. Completely distinct from last year, which was a lowly 2011. As far as time goes, most people would consider an increase in digits to be a good thing. So far, we’re doing it right. Good job, people!
So, with it being a new year, the logical answer to what to blog about is the much dreaded, much neglected after 2 weeks, list of resolutions. Where I inevitably overpromise and under deliver. Which, I’ve learned, is forwned upon.
If I were in the mood for setting goals that I could easily attain. Like “I resolve to not shave my head.” Or, “I resolve to eat more than I should.” I think that with goals like that I’d feel way more accomplished half way through the year when I undoubtedly look back at the list in reflection. I’d be able to fondly remember that time I woke up late on a weekend and didn’t change out of my pajamas until dinner because “hey! That was one of my resolutions!”
But no, I’m not programmed to think that way. I’m programmed to make a neat and tidy list and do my darndest to adhere to it. But I think this year (as I’ve thought many times in the past) I’ll be able to accomplish most of these items! So let’s take a look at the new goals I have for myself shall we?
Clearly, not one of my better photos. But I bought myself a handy dandy iPhone the other day and can’t help but use it as much as possible. Not to mention it’s hard to take a photo of a notebook and make it look good.
Speaking of notebooks, I retained my yearly tradition of “Getting organized by buying a notebook that I inevitably don’t use.” But this one has pretty pages. So maybe I’ll use it. I’m rambling.
As you can see from the list though, I’m going to try blogging more. We’re going to jump in soon and do at least 2 posts per week. Let’s do this 2012.
Get your life.
Things I learned from the movie Hope Floats:
- Men who leave Sandra Bullock are idiots. But men who leave her on the Ricki Lake show are even bigger morons than the rest. I mean, come on Bill, look at her. She’s Sandra freaking Bullock.
- Forrest Whitaker directs romantic comedies. I’m not entirely sure how this fact escaped me for so long, but it did. And when I read his name in the opening credits, I was pretty surprised. But kudos to you, Mr. Whitaker. You’ve done good with this one.
- Adele is not the first person to sing “To Make You Feel My Love”. Why was I dumb enough to think that a girl who sings only moody, depressing songs could also have been the one to start a song so beautiful. Nope, that was Bob Dylan. And it tugs at my heartstrings. And everyone and your mother has covered it, in this film alone it was covered by Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. I love it.
- When characters in films cry – I cry. No matter how bad the film is, I can get pretty darn emotionally attached to the characters. And the grandmother in this movie was so southern and fantastic. So yeah, I cried with Sandra Bullock.
- Despite living in a big city, I will always long to live in a small town. And a small southern town? Come on. Welcome to my weak spot. I call it the Gilmore effect. I became lovingly attached to Stars Hollow and the idea of living in a town where you know everyone’s name and everyone’s business. I’m not sure what that says about me.
- Harry Connick Jr. when going by his last name, does not include the “Jr.” part. This is unimportant, but it was something I noticed in the ending credits. And yes, I watched the entirety of the ending credits. They kept calling him “Mr. Connick”. I wonder if he reads that and imagines they’re referring to his dad.
- I will always be drawn into a terrible movie at midnight if given the chance. That’s right, this is NOT a good movie. Not by normal people’s standards. But I loved it. I’ve watched it several times now and will continue to watch it in the future. Thank you Netflix for basically being the TBS to my cable free world. Sure, it’s no “The Patriot”, but it’ll do.
PS – I apologize for my absence. Not that you noticed. But I got caught up in moving a few months ago and realized what a hard habit blogging was to break back into. So you can thank Hope Floats for that as well.
It’s Friday. And today I’m going to Chicago Comic Con. So there’s that.
But for today’s Friday Faves I did a little window shopping at Ikea. For if I ever had an unlimited Ikea gift card for my new apartment. Which I’m moving into in like 2 weeks….I need to get ready!
So, if we’re being honest, I’m not sure how this locker fits into my apartment aeshetic. But I told John we could get one so it’s on the list. We’re going to use it as a tv stand and put the dresser that’s currently a tv stand in the bedroom. As a dresser of all things. But I think it’s pretty neat.
I fricking love sectionals. But I have a couch. And it’s comfy. Blah blah blah. But look at this light gray! I love it! And and and…it’s a really good size. I would get different legs but still. Great.
3.) Expedit Bookcase
I’m a little concerned that I don’t see the right color of these bookshelves to match my current one. But nonetheless, I want this. It’d house my records and pyrex and stuff. Basically, what I’m saying is, I could put it to good use.
4.) Ung Drill Mirror
Pretty mirror. Ooo shiny. Now that I’m really thinking about it, I don’t think this would really go all that well with the red locker vibe. But I’d also probably want to spray paint it a better color. Like aqua. Or robins egg blue. Yep. Love it.
Anyway, that’s good enough for today. I’m going to stop staring at things I can’t afford to get now. :(
Hope everyone has a great weekend! I’m having a birthday party for myself tomorrow so I’m pretty pumped about that as well.
Today is my birthday!
I’m 25. And I’ve been having the BEST week! I sort of feel like I can’t even write down everything great that’s been happening. And for some reason, I feel like I’ve transgressed back to 11 year old me where I wrote in my journal about the best weekend ever where I rode a horse, swam, and turned 11.
Remind me to share old diary entries with you. They’re a hoot.
Anyway…I just wanted to share this day with you guys. I made some awesome cake balls so as to buy the adoration of my coworkers on my birthday and this weekend is my super awesome quarter century Quentin Tarantino birthday. I’m pumped!
Just for funsies…lets look at little Amanda on her birthday. When she was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians.
Fun Fact: I spent a good majority of my childhood birthdays in Florida. Like any good Michigander would.
I sort of wonder if I was always as obsessed with my birthday as I am now. I don’t recall is but this craziness had to start somewhere! Maybe I felt special because we always went to Florida for my big day. Who knows.
Another fun fact: In high school I made up a fake birthday just so that I could get balloons to walk around with like everyone else. Summer birthdays are the worst when you’re in school. No one used to care about them at all. Of course, that was pre internet. Pre Facebook birthday notifications.
Oh well! Hope you all have a wonderful my birthday!
Does everyone know what next Tuesday (August 9th) is?
That’s right. My BIRTHDAY. Plan accordingly.
And by “plan accordingly” I assume you will go about your business as usual. Which is fine, so long as in the back of your head you’re aware that it’s a very special day that the world (re: my parents) brought you the gift that is me.
I was originally going to do a completely different post today until I realized there wouldn’t be another chance to expand on my wishlist until Christmas. Keep in mind, I’m cool with never getting any of this stuff. But it’s a wishlist for a reason.
I have wanted a bag like this for a long while. It’s a hand made gorgeous faux leather purse that also doubles as a serious camera bag. It has padding and separators and everything. I’m hooked. Just never hooked enough to buy myself one. This one is JoTotes.
This is a more recent addition to my “Want Have” list. But I love it. And I’m obsessed with it. I went to Michigan State University and I love gruff sparty so much more than new sparty. He’s so awesome! If we’re being honest, there’s a reasonable chance I’ll buy this for myself once I lift my spending freeze.
Okay, you know I love baking. But are you aware how much better life is with a good stand mixer? It’s amazing. Not only is everything immensely easier but your kitchen looks about 10x more adorable. And I love yellow. So of course I’d pick yellow for a mixer.
I’m not sure if everyone here is aware that I love records. So let me take a moment to let you in on a secret – I love records. I love the look of them. I love that they get dusty. I love my old timey “portable” record player. And most of all, I love dancing around my living room listening to fun songs on vinyl. And this particular album has eluded me thus far. I cannot for the life of me find it on vinyl anywhere! Even on Amazon, the site of all amazing things, it’s out of stock and expensive. I mean, come on.
Do you understand what this is? It’s a papercraft of topography of Michigan. I stinking love Michigan from the bottom of my heart. And this is just amazing to me. I always have my eye on this piece but I’ve yet to pull the trigger.
This is just a snippet of my dream wishlist. Ideally, we’d all get everything we want in the world, but then we wouldn’t appreciate the things we have. Either way, I’m looking forward to my birthday next week. Not to mention the Tarantino themed party I’m having the next weekend and the fact that I’m going to Comic Con on Friday. PUMPED.
Oh my goodness! I’ve neglected you so, dear blog. It has just been insanely hot and since I don’t have an air conditioner, I’ve neglected many things, including this blog, cleaning my apartment, and pants.
That’s right. I live in a pants free zone when the weathers this hot. Remember 2 weeks ago when it was like 100 degrees every day? Yeah, I had to board Ash so that he would have air conditioning. That’s how bad it was. Not bad enough for me to invest in an air conditioner though. No, no. I’m to frugal for that.
Anyway! Instead of just updating you about what I did this past weekend, I figured I’d just list out all the fun stuff you’ve been missing out on while I was away. This does not include no pants parties. But you can just assume most things are done without pants.
I think I’ve crossed a line. I shouldn’t tell you all that much about my pants. Oh well. Too late to worry about it now.
Moving on. Here’s the list:
- Finished watching all of the Harry Potter movies on DVD in time to see it in theaters the Tuesday after it came out. I sincerely love Half Priced Tuesdays at the theater.
- Went on a booze cruise with work. No seriously, that’s how awesome my job is. And booze aside, it was an AWESOME boat tour! We started in the lake and rode through the Chicago River. I even touched the underside of one of the bridges. And I saw fireworks at Navy Pier from the lake. Very nice!
- Saw Captain America and marveled at how weird he looked as a tiny body with Chris Evans’ head.
- Read the entire “A Game of Thrones” book. The first in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. My gosh. This book was so good! And the longest thing I’ve read in a while at an impressive 750 pages. And there were baby direwolves and swords and betrayal and incest and heroes and awesome stuff! I’m already reading the second book. Because it was THAT good.
- Painted my nails in fun new ways. (And to think – this is 5 days later. They looked amazing at first.)
- Played games. Video games (Kingdom Hearts). Board games (Cranium). Word games (crosswords). I like me some games.
- Apartment hunted like a mad woman. I’ve seen so much prime real estate! I’ve got an offer in on one, so I’m just crossing my fingers they accept since I’m in love with the location/size. (since writing this – they accepted! so I need to move in a month!)